From Drive: The SciFi Comic
This content is not published under a Creative Commons license! Text and images are used in this wiki only with permission of the author. The content should stay true to the original.
Follow this link to get to the original: http://www.drivecomic.com/archive/100508.html
- Skitter: I don't get it: If your family has all the power in the empire... why do you guys still do the cruddy grunt-work in the Ring?
- Fernando: Because the Ring is where our power comes from.
- Fernando: Look, if you want to control an empire, you need to control transport. And if you want to control transport, you control the Ring.
- Fernando: ... And only we control the Ring.
- Skitter: But that don't mean you gotta work the wrenches. Hire some doofus for that.
- Fernando: No way. Because eventually that doofus sells all he knows to the highest bidder.
- Skitter: But you can't keep the secret forever! Eventually some company's gonna steal a ship and figure it out.
- Fernando: IndústriaGlobo did, once. My great-grandfather sent half the armada to destroy their shipyards until they returned it.
- Skitter: Oof
- Fernando: And during my great-grandma's reign, they tried it again. She had their entire headquarters razed.
- Fernando: ... Got it back the next day.
- Skitter: OOF
- Fernando: And when two officers broke into a Ring and locked themselves inside, my great uncle ordered the captain to fly the ship into a star.
- Skitter: No way.
- Fernando: And later, when plans for a Ring were stolen, he had the thieves ejected into space naked.
- Skitter: Jeez! OK! Point made! I ain't goin' near the dang Ring.
- Fernando: Also, it's like super cold in there. Like, for reals.
- This is the first time we've seen 'Nando without anything covering his head.