From Drive: The SciFi Comic
This content is not published under a Creative Commons license! Text and images are used in this wiki only with permission of the author. The content should stay true to the original.
Follow this link to get to the original: http://www.drivecomic.com/archive/090901.html
- Querido nieto:
- I am dying, Pablito, so let your grandfather tell you a secret... and then a secret within a secret.
- First, the secret you must take to you grave: The Empire can never know the origin of the Drive. The Drive is the foundation of our power, the center from which all authority flows. If we lose control of the Drive, we lose the empire, and we slide back to the starving days that haunted humanity.
- Second, the secret within the secret. And Pablo, it is something I have never even told your father. But you have a wisdom about you that he lacks. An insight. And I think this bit of knowledge will serve you well when it comes time for you to rule:
- Pablo, I do not know how it works.
- Oh, of course I could reverse engineer it. I could scale it up and scale it down. I could even vary the materials and sometimes get results. But as to how it works, I do not know. I have stared at it for 58 years and I understand it less and less. It is beyond me.
- But with the hope that it won't remain beyond you, let me give you my best guess. Or, at least, my best imagery.
- Take a coin, and slide it along a long tablecloth at low velocity. It would take hours to make it across the table. Now, take the cloth and pinch it up in the middle. The coin maintains the same low velocity, but makes much further ground across the cloth. That, I believe, is how the Drive works, Pablo. We skirt across the crests of pinched space.
- - Emperor Conrado I, in a letter to his oldest grandson.
- (Unpublished. Held in the Biblioteca Privada de La Familia.)
- This is the first time Pablo is mentioned.
- This strip takes place in 2269
- The date should be 2316 (58 years on from 2258) however Emperor Conrado Cruz dies in 2269, hence the detail in the letter is wrong - he can only have been looking at it for 11 years.
- Querido nieto - Dear nephew
- Biblioteca Privada de La Familia - private library of La Familia